UWC and International School Moshi (ISM) first discussed the possibility of ISM’s membership of UWC in 1979 and so, after many years, we were thrilled when, in March 2019, the UWC International Board unanimously approved ISM as the newest member of the UWC movement. ISM became UWC East Africa (UWCEA) as the second UWC school in Africa and the 18th worldwide.
UWC schools, colleges and programmes deliver a challenging and transformative educational experience to a diverse cross section of students, inspiring them to create a more peaceful and sustainable future. The first cohort of UWC national-committee selected students joined UWCEA in August 2019 and more followed in 2020.
UWC was founded in 1962 with the vision of bringing together young people whose experience was of the political conflict of the cold war era, offering an educational experience based on shared learning, collaboration and understanding so that the students would act as champions of peace.
UWC remains committed to this goal today but has expanded its reach to embrace the tensions and conflicts that exist within as well as between societies.
At UWC, diversity extends to differences in socio-economic background, culture, race and religion as well as nationality. UWC students are united in their commitment to positive social action to build a more equitable and fairer world.
This matched well with the Mission of International School Moshi at the time of its joining the UWC movement: “ISM provides a world-class education through a challenging international curriculum in a dynamic environment. We are committed to developing balanced global citizens who are empowered to act responsibly in a complex world.”
What is UWC?
UWC schools, colleges and programmes offer a transformational experience for young people, enabling them to discover the possibility of change through courageous action, personal example and selfless leadership.
UWC is a movement of 18 colleges worldwide. The values at the core of the UWC are:
- International and intercultural understanding
- Celebration of difference
- Personal responsibility and integrity
- Mutual responsibility and respect
- Compassion and service
- Respect for the environment
- A sense of idealism
- Personal challenge
- Action and personal example
UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
Where are UWC schools?
In addition to UWC East Africa, the other UWC school and colleges are:
- Li Po Chun UWC of Hong Kong- Hong Kong, S.A.R China
- Pearson College UWC- Victoria, Canada
- Waterford Kamhlaba UWC of Southern Africa – Mbabane, Eswatini
- UWC Adriatic – Duino, Italy
- UWC Atlantic College- Vale of Glamorgan, Wales, UK
- UWC Changshu China
- UWC Costa Rica- Santa Ana Downtown, Costa Rica
- UWC Dilijan – Dilijan, Armenia
- UWC ISAK Japan – Karuizawa, Japan
- UWC Maastricht – Maastricht, The Netherlands
- UWC Mahindra College – Pune, India
- UWC Mostar- Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- UWC Red Cross Nordic – Flekke, Norway
- UWC Robert Bosch College – Freiburg, Germany
- UWC South East Asia – Singapore
- UWC Thailand- Phuket,Thailand
- UWC-USA- Montezuma, New Mexico