This page shows the latest emails and announcements sent to parents.
- Ukrainian Humanitarian Appeal from UWC East AfricaAlumni Relations
Ukrainian Humanitarian Appeal from UWC East Africa
Dear Parents and Alumni,
Kindly consider the following appeal from our Ukrainian students.
We are Ukrainian students at UWC East Africa.
On, Thursday, 24th of February, we woke up with the most terrifying and alarming message we have ever seen in our lives “Putin has started the war in Ukraine.”
At this moment, the war is continuing. The resistance from the Ukrainian population has led to direct bombings of Ukrainian cities and villages and the loss of civilian lives. It has also created a humanitarian problem due to a lack of supplies on the ground.
Therefore, we call you to make a donation to the Red Cross Ukraine fund. Red Cross has been fighting in the forefront to help those in need, affected by armed conflict, blood collection, mobilization of volunteers and resources, and emergency activities.
The donation can be made through the official Red Cross Ukraine website: https://redcross.org.ua/en/donate/.
By doing so, we believe that our school and alumni will act in accordance with UWC values and make a practical and visible effort to bring peace to Ukrainian citizens.
We sincerely hope for your support in this regard and pray for the Ukrainian people in this historic moment for our nation, the European continent, and the world.
Ivan 22’, Yuliia 23’
Their request is echoed by one from the Ukrainian UWC National Committee:
Dear Ukrainians and our International Friends,
On behalf of the UWC Ukraine National Committee, we are deeply concerned about the current situation in Ukraine. On Thursday morning, Ukrainians woke up to the sound of bombings and sirens, facing an unprovoked full-scale invasion from Russia. This is a violation of Article 2(4) of the Charter of the United Nations: “All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations”.
Amidst continued military invasion and state of emergency declared in Ukraine, we condemn a continued heavy shelling and repeated targeting of civilian infrastructure. We would like to call upon our friends in the international community, citing our mission of “making education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future” to stand for peace in Ukraine.
Here is what you can do:
- Keep yourself informed and inform those around you (e.g. international media, such as kyivindependent.com or english.nv.ua);
- Send a letter to your elected representatives to demand increased support for Ukraine;
- Join anti-war protests across the world (www.stopputin.net/);
- Most importantly – DONATE to support humanitarian causes in Ukraine – even a few pounds count. We share a few links for well-known international organisations, but are happy to provide more specific ones if you message us (e.g. children, medical needs, people with disabilities, media orgnaisations, etc)
Stand with Ukraine!
UWC Ukraine National Committee