UWC East Africa makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. We are committed to developing balanced global citizens who are empowered to act responsibly in a complex world.
UWC East Africa is a member of the UWC movement. We live and learn together as part of a community that values:
- A safe, collaborative and caring community.
- A sense of belonging, acceptance and tolerance.
- A holistic and diverse portfolio of learning experiences.
- An education in a global context that promotes an appreciation and understanding of multiple perspectives and interdependence of individuals, societies and environments.
- Innovation over perfection within a supportive community where learners are motivated to embrace personal challenge and reflection.
- The ambition of students to demonstrate initiative and take on leadership roles.
- Opportunities to engage with the culture and nature of East Africa.
- A shared responsibility and a collective duty of care for ourselves, each other and the environment.
- A healthy lifestyle and active pursuits.
- The happiness and well-being of our community.
Internationally Minded People
At UWC East Africa we have developed our own definition of International Mindedness.
Internationally Minded People:
- Are curious about the world and different cultures.
- Demonstrate the values of UWC and of the International Baccalaureate.
- Strive to learn about the values, beliefs and practices of their own culture so that they can better understand those found in their host country and elsewhere.
- Seek to understand how personal values, beliefs and practices impact one’s own and other’s contexts for learning and interacting in a variety of settings.
- Are influenced by, but not confined to, the cultures of their upbringing.
- Recognise that many values, beliefs and practices are in fact universal.
- Recognise and reflect on their place in an increasingly interdependent, globalised and connected world.
- Recognise and critically engage with multiple perspectives.
- Bridge cultures and act to create a more peaceful and sustainable world.